All the physical components of the computer are hardware. This will include your keyboard, hard drives, internal CD or DVD drive, fans, etc. All of these components are included in computer hardware maintenance.
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE?
Most people believe that preventative maintenance programs are only for the visible components of the computer.
That is not true.
Computer hardware maintenance also includes the not-so-visible components of the computer and typically, we perform preventative maintenance at the system level and physical level.
This is where you clean the physical components of the computer. Clean the keyboard to ensure that you remove the dust sitting between the keys. It’s important to remove and clean the fans that help maintain CPU temperature. Also, wipe off the monitor and blow out the dust sitting inside the CPU.
Make sure you complete this entire cleaning process carefully.
Using any type of liquid or solvent can cause damage to the physical parts. Instead, it is important to use a soft cloth and right type of solvent. During the maintenance process, do not expose the physical components to extreme temperature changes.
System-level maintenance ensures that your operating system runs in an optimized manner.
- Check your hardware drivers and download and install their latest versions.
- If you’re using any software, then it is best to have the upgraded and latest versions.
- There are also a lot of programs in your system that you do not use. Remove these programs and clean up the disk space so you can install more useful programs.
- This can pose a substantial threat to your operating system. Hence, they are also updated to the latest versions.
- A lot of people make the mistake of not fragmenting their hard drive. This can cause a major data loss in adverse situations and even cause system slowdown.
- So, defragment your hard disk and create multiple drives.
WHY HARDWARE MAINTENANCE IS IMPORTANT
Now that we have seen how to take care of your computer, let us see why it important to have a periodic maintenance program.
THE IMPORTANCE OF SYSTEM MAINTENANCE
Maintenance activity helps you care-system-maintenance latent problems in computers on a network that can turn into major issues that lead to business disruption and production disruption if not addressed in a timely manner.
Regular maintenance helps you spot and treat these system-wide and computer parts issues right away.
Antivirus and malware programs undergo an update process that ensures, that computers on the network have the highest level of protection against security threats.
Because with the presence of a security vulnerability in one device it is able to cause the entire network to fall with the loss of important files and data and stop work.
And no one wants to fall prey to a security vulnerability that could lead to this disaster.
Defragmenting the hard drive, removing unnecessary programs, and updating system drivers improve the operating speed of your computer.
With time, computers tend to slow down and become sluggish. It’s inevitable that software slows down and gives the sub-optimal output. Therefore, periodic maintenance can help address this and optimize the efficiency of the computer.